Saturday, October 20, 2018

Well, Hello

It's funny how this blog ebbs and flows, or maybe coughs and stutters...

I love the idea of writing regularly but I find that it's like anything else I do, inspired for a time and then a chore later and eventually abandoned. I think it's because I put these expectations around what I'm doing and it just feels so rigid and tight. It's also themed and scheduled and I rebel against that after a while.

So I changed the name of my blog to reflect my rambling nature which I think will allow me to go off on tangents like I do. It's permission to follow my curiosity. And I'm curious by nature. A life long student, I love getting into something new and throwing myself 120% all in. For days, weeks, months, I soak in everything I can. Then when I'm at least proficient, I get distracted by something else... The cycle starts again... lather, rinse, repeat...



The older I get the more accepting I am of this part of myself. It can be annoying to those around me when I'm in the middle of the learning process. I just get so excited! Hopefully I can pour and temper some of that here. Or fuel it!

I have no real plan or format for this reincarnation of the blog. I do think I'll be posting when ever I feel like it. Could be once a week or more or less. I don't want to feel like I need to schedule posts or put something out there if I have nothing to say.

How 'bout a little catch up?

I'm currently doing some big renovations in my house. We're redoing our kitchen and I can't wait to write some posts about it! This reno has really got me excited about revamping the rest of the house. My living room was done a few years ago and I want to update it a bit... I've also discovered an online auction business in my small town. I have found so many treasures especially suited to the farmhouse look I'm going for.



My crafting life is still rich, I'm knitting and quilting. I'm just finishing my first official quilt and I'm in love. I think I love this quilt so much because of all the mistakes and imperfections. Really, don't look too closely... it's pretty awful but I'm so pleased with it anyway! I'm really wanting to make my own couch slipcover out of a dropcloth... and paint and distress some furniture, and recover an old ratty ottoman. I could list a million things I want to make. If I could find a way to make a living making, I would... My problem is I want to make all the things! All right now!

I've recently changed my diet to a keto/low carb/primal/paleo way of eating. I'm eliminating pretty much 100% of the processed food in my life and trying to find a balance between low carb and still eating a plant based diet. I do eat meat, I'm not interested in giving it up but I'm struggling with the whole macro thing a bit. I've also gotten serious about fasting. I aim for a 16-18 hour fast everyday. That's actually easy for me, I've never been a good breakfast eater.



As for excercise, well I had high hopes this year of running a 50k. It didn't happen. I did have a great 6 months of running though. I improved so much and enjoyed the heck out of it. I've not run since June. I miss it. I plan to get back to it soon. I'd also like to incorporate more strength into my life too. Not crazy lifting, I'm not enough of a gym rat for that, but maybe some body weight stuff at home. We'll see how that goes. Also winter is coming, like it came already, snowed, froze, melted, is warm right now but I'm not holding my breath, it's going to be a long one I can feel it. So with that in mind, I'm determined to get out skating and snowshoeing. I'd also like to ski with Sam a few times.

What else? Well I'm still a picture taking maniac. I love it, it's fun. We've been camping (sold the old Vangaard, got a new camper, will tell all soon). Been back to BC to visit a few times. Not much travel other than that.



The places I haunt...

My Pinterest account is a great source of inspiration for me. I'm a prolific pinner. It's embarasing but true...

I'm most active on Instagram. I post in bursts, just like I blog. I follow some great accounts that inspire me and I chase hashtags that fuel the creativity and fire of whatever I'm geeking out on. Right this moment it's farmhouse decor and handquilting...

I still have a Ravelry account and I while I'm not knitting as voraciously as I have in the past, I still use Rav all the time. It's the best knitting resource there is. I'm not active on the forums but I still queue patterns and add the odd new project to my page.

I think that's it for this post. It's taken me most of the morning to redesign and format this blog, blogger is pretty easy to navigate, thank goodness. I also had to download around 1200 pictures off my phone and onto my laptop so I could add a few... That's a process too... Anyway, thanks for reading this far.

Have you found yourself ready to revisit old interests? How do you reinvent yourself after a time away from blogging or social media? Are you a curiosity chaser?  Let me know in the comments below. Catch you next time.

Cheers,
Jill




1 comment:

  1. I like that Einstein quote. I find myself more curious as an adult where I'm not afraid to ask questions and such. Great photos! I really like your quilt. I hope to do some simple quilting for a project bag one of these days.

    ReplyDelete

Little Sheep Virtues

Happy Friday! I'm pretty excited to be sharing this cross stitch project with you all. Pattern: Little Sheep Virtues 1-12 by Litt...