Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Out with the old and in with the new

As I mentioned in my last post, we got a new camper last summer. I've been ready for an upgrade for ages.

I loved the freedom that the old Vangaard gave us, it was a quirky vintage (old 1976, but still working) camper. The cold water worked and the bathroom was useable, great for storage. There was lots of storage space and Sam loved the bunk. I loved the windows and how light it was in there. It was small, 21ft long and easy to get into small camp sites, which are usually the best ones anyway.



It was also a pain in the bum. It was super heavy to pull and swayed in the wind (this is Saskatchewan, the wind is always blowing here). It was musty and the fridge would mould. I had to make up the beds every night and they were lumpy and uncomfortable. There was no hot water (not that that was an issue, we camp off grid usually anyway) and the awning was super hard to unroll and of course to roll back up. Random things would break or leak because they were old. Thankfully they were pretty easy to fix, there isn't any computer anything in these old campers. No sensors to mis read or just not work...


I mean I could have kept it and done a glamper reno but it just seemed like so much work for something we only use a few times a year.

Cue the visit to the travel RV sales place... because new and shiney...

Of course everything in there is freaking amazing and new and beautiful and expensive. And of course I forgot how little we actually camp when we were looking for our dream camper (under 25ft, queen bed, working bathroom, lots of storage space, big fridge)...




We found pretty much exactly what I wanted: 23 ft, tons of space, sleeping couch/bed for Sam, great kitchen, nice bed, amazing awning with led lights, outside speakers, solar capability, so much storage! A few things that weren't exciting: microwave and tv, tiny windows and extremely dark interior, no way to bypass or override fridge controls, cheap plastic fixtures, dealer stickers everywhere, everything has a light on it to tell you it's running so constant battery drainage...

So because my youngest is now too old for daycare and I don't have that monthly payment, why not buy an overly expensive camper and pay every 2 weeks for the rest of my life? Why indeed, sigh... I want to not regret this purchase because there is so much I love about this camper but if I'm being honest, well, I kinda do. So instead of dwelling on that and because there is no way we can sell it and come out ahead, I'm determined to make the best of it.

First thing: We are going to camp a lot more!

I am going to reno the interior of this camper whether Brent likes the idea or not... shhh... don't tell him!

I have plans to paint it white inside... gasp... I know, it's brand new, but frankly I don't care. I'm going to keep this thing forever. It could totally work for us for the next 20 or more years and since that's probably how long it will take to pay it off, I say paint it white!!!




I already made curtains for it because the original ones were pretty hideous. I threw down a rug I've had for 20 years that used to hang on my wall. Funny how it was so precious for so long and now it's living in the camper.



I'm planning some kind of wall art/hanging in various places all over and fairy lights because every space is better with fairy lights.

I'm undecided about the fate of the tv. It seems like a waste of space to me since we will never use it. I need to figure out a plan for that area though. It could be shelves for knick knacks or maybe some kitchen pantry/spice cabinet... I'm just not sure.

Even though there is a ton of cabinets and storage, they are big and deep cabinets. They need shelves to make them more useable, otherwise there is just a lot of empty space at the top.

I'm testing out command hooks in various places. What I like about them is they're not permanent. If they aren't working in that spot then I can move them.

I'm also determined to take off all the outside stickers and gross gluey mess they leave behind. My camper shouldn't be an advertisement for some dealership unless I'm getting paid to do that. So Glue-be-gone is my best friend.

The plan for next year isn't set in stone yet but I want to get out at least 4 times. Summer is a tough season for Brent, he's an electrician and self employed, it's his busiest time. I'd like to learn how to hook up and drive this thing though and then I can take Sam and go, Brent could meet us when he can. Plus it's bad ass for women to have skills like trailer hook ups and backing into sites. I can do it! Ha ha. I think I can anyway!

I'm still researching the places I'd like to see. There are so many and most revolve around hiking and running trails. Seriously the best part of camping is the exploring... and the campfire food...




Are you a camper? Any favourite things to do and eat while out? Have you ever made a large purchase that you regret? Any tips for camper reno's? Leave me a comment below and let me know what your thoughts are.

Cheers and happy camping!
Jill


No comments:

Post a Comment

Little Sheep Virtues

Happy Friday! I'm pretty excited to be sharing this cross stitch project with you all. Pattern: Little Sheep Virtues 1-12 by Litt...