Thursday, August 4, 2011

FO - Arroyo



This is called Arroyo and it's a free pattern by Sarah H. Wolf. I knit this shawl/scarf from a skein of Malabrigo Sock yarn that I've had in my stash for over a year.

It always feels so good to use up stash... I try not to buy yarn without a project in mind but sometimes a skein is just too pretty to pass up and this yarn with it's turquoise, blues and earthy browns was very pretty.

It knit up into a fabulous scarf although I wish I'd have cast on for a few more lace repeats. I have lots of yarn left over.

I liked that this pattern started with the lace edging and then the body was knit after. I've never done a shawl that way and it was easy.



I did a few mods of course:

...the first was knitting the body in stockinette instead of garter stitch. I was nervous I wouldn't have enough yarn (garter stitch eats yarn like crazy) and really my first mod was using sock weight yarn instead of worsted weight (quite a large mod actually) so I was freaked out about running short.

...I also decided I didn't like the edging along the neck. The pattern has you just cast off which is fine if you did the garter stitch but stockinette will curl and this scarf needed a proper edging to finish it off, so the next mod was the eyelet row just before casting off

Here's what I did:
Final edge: Purl one row… next row {k2tog, yo} repeat thru to end of row… Purl one row... bind off in Jenny’s stretchy bind off purlwise….

I blocked very aggressively because I knew this scarf was on the small side and there you have it... Arroyo... Perfect for wrapping around your neck for a bit of colour and style in the office...

3 comments:

Little Sheep Virtues

Happy Friday! I'm pretty excited to be sharing this cross stitch project with you all. Pattern: Little Sheep Virtues 1-12 by Litt...