Cotton Wood

I finished this sweater last month and should have hoofed it over to the PFRA for some FO shots under the Cottonwood trees but the snow came rather quickly. I ran out of time. I may still get some nice winter shots if I layer up.

Hmm... I love planning the photo sessions. B thinks I'm crazy. I get really excited taking pictures of my knitting and only somewhat excited about taking pictures of my kids!


These are the amazing Cottonwood Trees (they deserve a capital letter)! The wind knocked one down this spring and it's lying over the slew like a giant bridge. When I first saw the pattern by Cecily Glowik MacDonald I immediately thought of these trees.

Idlewood is a top down raglan sweater with a giant cowl. I was really unsure of that part. It seemed like a lot of knitted fabric at my neck and I thought I looked like a dork, not quite the look I was aiming for. After I had finished the knitting (very quick) and blocking, I tried it on again and you know what? I so wasn't a dork at all! The sweater looks great!



I knit Cottonwood on 6.5mm circular needles (my addi turbos, love addis!). I used 3 skeins of Shepherds Own (even though I bought 7!) in the dark brown. It worked out to about 756 yards according to Raverly and I really did use just about all of those 3 skeins. I didn't make any mods, the pattern is written so well, I didn't have to.

This was a fun sweater to knit and it's a fun sweater to wear. The only complaint I have is the pilling in high stress areas. Because this more of a tunic length, the derriere is getting a bit of friction with sitting and moving and the garter stitch edge is pilling.

The yarn I knit this out of is 100% wool and it will pill and felt together, I should have thought about that a bit more. I don't know if a super wash or merino would hold up any better to be honest and I really like the rustic look the pure wool gives. So I wear this sweater occasionally. 

I'm knitting another sweater by Cecily. The Castle Pullover (in a beautiful green yarn called Marsh) promises to be very wearable and lovely for work. I'll blog about it soon (I'm halfway there).

Happy Friday!

Comments

  1. it looks fantastic on you!! I love ho it layers, it looks like the perfect thing for this time of year. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sweater! I really want to make this! YOurs looks fab!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts