Friday, March 25, 2011

Heartsick

That's what I've been feeling this week. I wasn't sure if I should post about it but I'm hoping that if I get it out there then I'll feel some closure and maybe a bit of peace.

We had some pretty severe spring storms early this week that froze the roads, dropped some snow, shut down the buses across the entire school district and made driving totally hazardous.

On Monday at about 4pm a young 18 year old from our high school was driving from the city to another town to go to work and she lost control on an overpass and hit a semi truck. Her car caught on fire and they had to use the jaws of life to get her out. B saw them opening the roof of her car as he was driving home from work that night. He said the car (a little Neon) was totalled and if would be something if the driver survived.

She did. For 2 days she hung on. But on Wednesday she suffered a stroke and passed away.

I've talked here before about how much I love this little town we live in. I love how well people know each other and that my kids are growing up with roots and history. It's a special thing to have those connections to a place and the people who create it. That's why it's so hard to come to grips with this death I think. Everyone is feeling it. There isn't any where to go to get away from it. The kids at school are reeling, the teachers are in shock, the community is in mourning.

And I can't stop thinking about it. The tragedy and unfairness of it. I keep thinking about Karrie (the mum) and wishing I could do something for her.

And I look at the Superstar and whisper thank you to whoever may be listening that it wasn't her.

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear of the loss in your community. Especially accidents involving children are really hard. I'll be keeping you and your family (and certainly the girl's family) in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So SAD! I pray for healing for the family of the young lady and you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a right to be heartsick, Jill. Losing a child in your community is so heartwrenching and totally disbelief. It's a time where you appreciate your life more and come together to help those that need a shoulder to lean on. My condolences to the ohana and you all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, that is heartbreaking. I'm so sorry for your and your community's loss.

    ReplyDelete

Little Sheep Virtues

Happy Friday! I'm pretty excited to be sharing this cross stitch project with you all. Pattern: Little Sheep Virtues 1-12 by Litt...