Sunday, September 19, 2010

Ruh-Tard Sweater

Have you ever fell in love with a sweater and obsessed about making it? Going so far as to buy the pattern and find a suitable yarn all in the space of a few hours?

Well I did with this pattern, the Oatmeal Pullover by Jane Richmond. I love this sweater. I love how chunky it is. I love how warm it looks. I love the simple design. I love how fast a knit it should be (a weekend, yes really). I love how beautiful this girl is. I want to look as stunning in this sweater as she does.

So I went stash diving because I'm serious about trying to knit it down this season (another blog post). I found this green Lion Brand Thick and Quick in my stash that would work great. I thought I had 4 skeins but it's really hard to tell as it's all wound up into one humongous ball of yarn.

So on Thursday night I got my 9mm circular needles out and cast on. Loved the thick fabric and the ribbing at the neck. I knit and knit all night. Then at 2 am I ran out of yarn. Yup. At the waist. None left. I wanted to cry but I was too tired. So I went to bed and dreamed of my yarn magically multiplying in the night.

I frogged in the morning. I was so sad about that. I was looking forward to using this yarn, it's been in my stash for 4 years. I know now that I have 3 skeins not 4 and it isn't enough to make this sweater. Not at all. So I put it away and went searching in my stash for something else.

I found all this Cascade Eco Wool in a very light grey. I don't like the colour much which should have stopped me from picking it, but I sat and knit with it that morning. I couldn't get gauge with the 6.5mm or the 7.5mm and the next size I have in a circular is 9mm. That worked out to close enough. I knit and knit and knit and got to just about the same place as the night before. I tried it on and it fit fine, a bit big but that was okay, a layering piece. Perfect.

Not perfect. I didn't like it. The stitches looked loose and the fabric was loose. I like knitting a tighter gauge and this yarn did not like 3 sts an inch, it wanted to be tighter. I wanted it to be tighter. So I put it away for the rest of the night and knit some baby hats instead.

Saturday, I couldn't face frogging again, and I was almost at the end of the second skein. I started the sweater again on 7.5mm and knit the new sweater from the old.


I wasn't getting gauge with these needles, but I liked the look of the fabric and so I did some math and knit a few sizes larger. I knit and knit and knit. This time, I tried it on about an inch after I separated for the arms. It pulled funny at the armpit, the raglan increases looked funny and the colour was terrible.

3 times was enough for me.  I put it into hibernation status until I can pick up some yarn that I actually like.

I'd like to say I've learned something but I have no gems of wisdom. Instead of getting upset about knitting this sweater 3 times over in the space of 3 days (my hands are actually sore) I'll turn it around. I had planned on calling this sweater Autumn Solstice but now I'm dubbing it the Ruh-Tard Sweater (a funny quote from this movie).

sigh... o well.

Oh, Happy Birthday Chris! May this coming year bring you more joy than you ever dreamed possible. Love you!

2 comments:

  1. Your perseverance is amazing! I would have thrown that misbehaving sweater into time out long before you did!

    Have you seen Jared Flood's Hemlock Ring Throw? Perfect for Cascade Eco Wool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also applaud your determination. I guess you and that sweater was not meant to be this weekend. I'm sure once you found the perfect yarn, it will be worth it.

    ReplyDelete

Little Sheep Virtues

Happy Friday! I'm pretty excited to be sharing this cross stitch project with you all. Pattern: Little Sheep Virtues 1-12 by Litt...